Thursday, October 14, 2004

Here is a letter that I just wrote to the Terry Fox Foundation in Canada. My students have all written letters in reaction to Terry's Letter Seeking Support, and I thought Terry's parents might enjoy reading these letters.

October 14th, 2004.

Ms. Breeda McClew
International Director
The Terry Fox Foundation
Suite 802, 789 Don Mills Road,
Toronto, Ontario. M3C 1T5
Canada

Dear Ms. McClew,

I sent you an email a short while ago about a video file that was corrupted on your website. I wanted to thank you very much for getting this file fixed so quickly. The resources you have on your website are just wonderful, and my students have enjoyed using them to learn more about Terry Fox and the Marathon of Hope. One of the resources that I downloaded from your website was Terry’s letter seeking support. After reading this letter, my students all wrote letters in answer to Terry’s letter. I was so touched by these letters that I thought Terry’s parents might want to see them and know that his message is still spreading all around the world, even here in faraway Japan. Could you please pass these letters along to Terry’s parents? I think that my students have discovered a new hero that will continue to inspire them long into the future.

On a personal note, I am very happy to be able to share Terry’s story with my students at Kansai Gaidai University, and take part in the Terry Fox Run at the Canadian Academy in Kobe. Terry has always been a great inspiration to me and my family. In 1979, when I was a little boy, my mother was first diagnosed with cancer. The cancer had spread into her lymph system, and the doctors had told her to prepare for the worst. Depression and illness followed. The chemotherapy was almost worse than the cancer. My mother lost her hair, could no longer taste her food, and was desperately nauseous after her treatments. As my mother lay in hospital thinking she was going to die, suddenly there was this young man who was running across Canada on one leg. From her bed in a hospital in Calgary, my mother watched the news about Terry Fox and took hope. She fought back, and after eight years she won. My mother has now been in remission from cancer for 17 years. I am sure that one of the reasons my mother is still here today is because of what Terry did when he tried to run across Canada.

Keep up the good work!

Yours truly,

Scott Roy Douglas

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home